Friday, April 14, 2006

Puppy Update

Last night Delilah FINALLY went into labor! We were so excited, even though she started at midnight. Adam and I hung out in the game room, where her whelping box is, and awaited the arrival of Baby Basset #1. Well...things don't move so quickly in doggie labor, so I decided to make a bed out of the pool table and sleep with her. Adam joined me for a little while, then he headed to our bed for some real sleep!

At 5:40 this morning ...still no puppy. I kept telling Lilah that if I can push out a 9lb 8oz baby...she can push out a tiny little puppy...but she wasn't listening. My gut said something wasn't right, so Adam called the emergency clinic. He hopped in the car, Delilah in tow, to go get a shot of potocin to speed things up. Let me say on a side note....if I knew we could really get puppy potocin...we would have had puppies a while ago!!! Okay...so shortly after he left, I found some information on the internet that led me to believe this was a normal progression of dog labor. This website said that stage 1 can last anywhere from 6-12 hours...and it had only been 6...so I called him and he turned around and headed for our regular vet, who would be opening at 7:30.

When the vet saw Delilah, he "checked" her...if you know what I mean!! He said her cervix was "wide open" and the puppy was actually sucking on his finger. CRAZY!! He gave her some potocin to get things moving, but called Adam back about 15 minutes later and said nothing was happening and they would do a C-section on my baby. He called to tell me the news, and he headed home. The vet told us we could pick her up this afternoon with all the puppies and bring the new family home.

About 10 minutes later, Adam called me again. SHE HAD THE PUPPY!!! I guess the thought of going under the knife scared the...baby out of her! The silly vet didn't even look to see if it was a boy or a girl...but he said he would call back later with updates. She is staying there under observation to make sure she has the rest without complication.

I am sorry that you will not be getting delivery pictures. Actually, Delilah felt a little uncomfortable with the thought of me taking pictures...down there...so there probably wouldn't have been any regardless :) BUT...I will promise some REALLY cute puppy pictures when she brings the little ones home!

3 comments:

mcjacobsjournal said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so excited!!! What a labor story! I think she wins the award for the hardest labor in our family so far. :) Poor, Delilah. Being a woman sucks in times like this. ha ha. Keep us posted and put pics up of those little puppies!

I bet you're dragging today from being up that long! I hope you get some catch-up sleep.

leslie said...

Yay! Can't wait to see puppy pictures. Kaitlyn will LOVE to look at them.
I was sad that I missed you at PC on Sunday! I would have loved to see ya'll!
Post some Easter pics too!

Cassie said...

Seriously...can't handle this anymore...show us pictures!!