I remember my first day of kindergarten at "The Lab" in Nacogdoches. She was in my class too, but she wasn't there when I got there. I remember asking the teacher over and over where Melissa was.
I remember playing in the tree house behind her house. I remember that I knew the way to her house from my house when I was only 6. We went to church together, to school together, we played together.
I remember little things that hold no significance, excpet they were with Melissa. I remember drinking sweet tea at her house (because my family drinks it unsweet). I remember chocolate milk for some reason...I guess we drank it! I remember eating Frosted Flakes out of the box one time in the TV room. Random!! I remember playing basketball in her driveway.
I don't remember washing her hair in the toilet, but I did! I have heard the story SO many times, but I don't think I personally have the memory. I don't remember some of the stories her parents tell about me...and I love that. I love that the Mannings knew me before I can remember knowing them!
We moved away when I was 6, and I thought my world was ending because Melissa was still in Nacogdoches. Every now and then we would get to visit, and she came to my birthday party in January after we moved! I remember thinking, one day, when I can drive, I will be able to go see her whenever I want to. We wrote each other letters (I wish I still had them...they would be so neat to read now!) When I could drive, I did go visit her a few times!
I was so honored to be her maid of honor when she married Brian 4 years ago, and she stood with my sisters they day I married Adam. She is, and always will be such an important part of my life.
Now we live about 15 miles apart...how cool is that!?! I look forward to our kids growing up together, and I look forward to what the future holds for our friendship! She is my forever friend!!
A couple of weeks ago, Randy and Susan, her parents, were in town and got to meet my little man. What a neat, neat time that was! I hope he knows and loves the Mannings as much as I do!! Here are some pictures from that day...

Melissa and Braden
Susan and Braden

Randy talking "Donald Duck" to Braden. He used to do this when we were little and I always LOVED it! Braden does too!





3 comments:
Those pictures are precious! It's so neat to see a family who was so close to us hold your baby boy! I know they loved it too.
And, how GREAT is it that Randy can still do DONALD DUCK!! That is a classic memory I have of him. All three of them look great and haven't changed a bit!
dito the donald memory...that sums up randy to me:) Braden looks extra cute in those pictures:)
Those are priceless pictures! I saved them for myself. What wonderful friends the Mannings have been to us for so many years! Blessings from God! Tell Braden that when he gets a little older he needs to get uncle Randy to take him fishing. Randy has the unique ability to have fish jump in the boat with him! Get him to tell you that story sometime. :)
Post a Comment