Did I spell it right? It is a funny name...
On Saturday morning, Chels, Cassie and I (along with a little help from the hubbies) had a benefit garage sale for our upcoming Breast Cancer Walk. We had a GREAT turn out, and were able to close down around noon, raising over $1,000 for the walk!!!!!
After we closed shop, we headed to Schlotzskys for some lunch before going to Chelsea's to make casseroles, also a fundraiser for the walk. We were all wearing our Avon Breast Cancer walk shirts that say "For 2 Days, We Walk as 1."
After I placed my order and turned to find a table, a woman stopped me. She asked if we had already walked or were about to walk. I told her that we were walking in June, in honor of my aunt who had lost her battle. She teared up as I told her that the 4 sisters were walking with Mom. She told me of 2 of her friends who had to fight this terrible disease as well.
Then, the most amazing part... The woman reached into her wallet and pulled out $20. She handed it to me and said she wanted to support us. We were all so touched at her generosity. Cassie said to her something like "Thank you so much! You could have so easily just kept walking."
I have thought about her a lot since. I am thankful that she crossed my path yesterday...not for the $20...but for the lesson in generosity. She didn't know me. She had no obligation to me. She could have said "Well...good luck!" and gone on her way...but she didn't. I am glad there are people like her in the world to touch your life in the most unexpected ways!
I just wanted to share. I was so inspired by her to be more aware of those around me...and to ACT rather than simply walk away.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
oh my, i was already crying and now i read your post and the tears are rolling again. i'm a little emotional.... writing about my mama today.
see you tomorrow and my hair is a bit darker.... hope you recognize me.
wow, what a touching story. get ready for more incredible moments on the walk!
sorry, i had put the wrong name when i posted earlier! it is REALLY late!! anyway, this is an awesome moment! i love hearing about things like this!
What a great story--thanks for sharing this. I am inspired. And good luck on the walk!
Post a Comment