Tuesday, June 09, 2009

We Did It!!!!!!

We are exhausted. We are sore. We are tired. We are proud. WE DID IT!!!

For 2 days, we walked as one. We joined with 3200 other women (and a few men) and we walked 39.3 miles for breast cancer! The Avon Walk Chicago raised $7,000,000 this year, thanks to many of you who helped us accomplish this goal through your generous donations. Thank you, thank you!!!

Friday:
Training at the airport. We were a little late getting through security, and enjoyed a "light jog" to the gate. Since we hadn't done much training (okay...no training) for this 2 Day walk...we chalked this up as TRAINING #1. At 1:50 we boarded for our 1:55 flight. So, with a little training in our pocket, we BARELY made it to the plane!









We arrived at Chicago Midway Airport around 5:20, and shuttled to our nearby hotel. We dropped our luggage and headed out to the Walk's check-in, which was on the NORTH side by O'Hare. We had to make it there by 7:00, so a taxi was our best bet. We hailed a cab and headed across town.



Cassie's face best descibes our feelings about Cabby #1. He "cut us a deal" and was only going to charge us $80 for this ride. HAHAHA. Not with Chels riding shot gun.

He went on to tell her that a flat rate to Chicago O'Hare was $65, but that to O'Hare Hyatt was normally $96. She said, "Well, then take us to O'Hare and we will shuttle to the hotel, and we will pay you $65." That's my smarty pants sister! He agreed to $65 to the HYATT, and we were all smiles :)

We made it to the Hyatt and checked in.


Then we needed to find a way to downtown, where we planned to eat some local cuisine. We asked about the train system, which was only a few blocks away, so we had the opportunity for TRAINING #2!





We made it to the train, and downtown, but the lines were just too long for us to wait with TWO preggers, and an early morning awaiting us. We decided on a local cajun place called "Heaven on Seven" which satisfied our hungry tummies and we headed back to the hotel for a good night's sleep, all 5 hours of it :)


Saturday:
Saturday morning was early. We had to be at the Opening Ceremonies by 6:00. Once there, we had a little breakfast...



and walked over to the opening ceremonies. There was quite a sea of pink and black and white...and the energy and excitement was contagious. Okay...there was a little anxiety over how exactly we were going to walk a marathon with only the 2 mentioned training sessions...but if you know us Teague women...you know we are a little stubborn and competitive. We were confident the day would be great!


We started the day with a few speakers. There was a man walking for the fiancee he lost to breast cancer. There was a young teen on the youth cheering crew for her mom, who she lost to breast cancer. There was a woman who told her story of diagnosis when 35 weeks pregnant with her 2nd child, and as a survivor she would join us in our 2 Days as One. Each testimony touching and heartbreaking...and sobering.

They asked each survivor to raise both hands high in the air. I was amazed at how many were walking with us! Incredible!! Then they asked those who had lost a loved one to this disease to join the survivors in raising both hands in the air. We joined them, as we were walking for my Aunt Pam, who lost her battle at age 36. And last those who were committed to finding a cure to this disease were asked to join us with their hands, and we were all as one, with hands lifted high, ready to start our walk!

With that, our walk began. 3200 women in a sea of pink, moving as one mob.

Look at this picture closely. See between the bushes and trees, in front of the skyline...there is a small white line. That is not a sidewalk...those are people. Walkers!


We loved this photo opp, and spent a little too much time doing this...



so we ended up with this...



That's right. We were almost dead last at the start of this day. Mistake #2... Mistake #1 being the LACK of training!! We were walking though...and proud of each baby step we took!





Along the way there was MUCH encouragement to keep you going. There were cheering stations, rest stops, quick stops, and the infamous MOTO CREW. These were men who ride motorcycles. They didn't know each other 5 years ago when they started this, but have formed this group that are priceless to those of us walking. They cheered us with costumes, dancing, singing, and smiles. They helped us cross crosswalks with their bright orange flags, and encouraged us with "you are doing great" or "only 1 mile until lunch" (even when they weren't exactly accurate!)
Other encouragement came in the form of a sign. Many walkers wore these signs on their backs. It was so touching to see how many people are affected daily by this disease, and how personal it is. This isn't something that happens to "other people." It happens to all of us.








Rest stops were about every 4 miles I would guess, with quick stops stationed about every 2 miles. The rest stops were themed, and were full of cheering, snacks, and drinks. This was at the baseball rest stop early on Day 1...


Mistake #3...resting at a rest stop. The longer you rest, the harder it is to get up again. We figured this out pretty quickly...so we would grab a drink, use the beautiful blue porta-potties, grab a snack, STRETCH, and hit the road again.

Around mile 18 we had some rain. It actually gave us a pretty good shower...so we put on our handy dandy ponchos and kept a truckin'.

The finish line was at 26.2 miles, and at mile 20 rest stop we were feeling pretty good. Normal aches and pains...but NO BLISTERS and good spirits!! We continued on, trying to make it as far as our bodies would allow. At about mile 21, however, our bodies were screaming at us to stop. We finished 22 miles on Saturday, and called it a day. Cailee was flying in, so we needed to be there to pick her up...and there was no way our bodies would have lasted 4 more miles. We all agreed, and were PROUD of what we had done that day!!!

Saturday evening we picked Cailee up from the airport, shuttled to the hotel, RAN (well...hobbled as fast as we could) to the hot tub, then ordered pizza and CRASHED!

Here is where we crashed...
Here is where many others crashed...


NOT mistake #4...this was one decision I was glad we made!! It felt good to use a hot tub and sleep in a bed before setting out on day #2!!!

Sunday:

Sunday morning came a little later than Saturday. We hopped in a cab (again) and headed to Warren Park where the others had camped. Our team was complete now, with Cailee joining us, and we were ready for the adventures of Day 2.

Let me say...we were SORE. We were REALLY SORE. I know I was wondering if I would be able to walk at all...let alone 13.1 miles. The encouragement from the line of cheering got us started.
Around mile 3 on Sunday, my left knee was KILLING me. I was in tears...knowing there was NO WAY I could finish this day. Day 2 was tough. We were fighting our own bodies. We were all determined to finish...but were in a great amount of pain. After some ibuprofen and stretching...the knee pain faded and we pushed on.

Again, there was much encouragement on Day 2. We all needed it for sure! These boys were at a cheering station, and I couldn't resist. Their mommas must be so proud :)





And the pink ambulance. Who would have thought that an ambulance could be encouraging to pained walkers...but this one was. On the trailer was a man with a stereo. He blasted music and sang along...we loved the music for the brief moments!




I would say around mile 10 (lunch again) the knee pain was back in full force. We breifly stopped to grab our lunch and go...and finish the 3.1 miles that were left.

When we made it here we were ALMOST home. In the distance you can see the museum steps where we took our first day pictures (it is right above Cassie's head). We could see the finish...but were still about 1.5 miles away. We were all hurting...tired...but determined :)


The last mile marker before the finish line...


After the SLOWEST mile I have ever walked...we made it!!



Closing ceremonies again brought the sobering reality of what we were all here for. Mia Coslow again told her story of diagnosis while 35 weeks pregnant. She told of her mom and sister who had both also fought this disease...and of a dedicated and supporting husband who saw her through it all. She talked about her precious kids (who were there cheering) and she brought us to tears! What an incredible story. She completed her first Avon Walk only 3 weeks after her mastectomy...and completed her 3rd walk with us that day. It makes a little knee pain seem so trivial!




After closing ceremonies we went back to the hotel...straight to the hot tub...and then across the parking lot to TGIFridays. Yes friends...Fridays in Chicago...how un-fun is that? Well...it was as far as we could walk that night...and it was just right!!

Monday:

Monday was our "sight-seeing" day. We decided walking around the "windy city" might not be comfortable, so we took a trolley/double decker tour. Very cool...and I would recommend it for anyone going to Chicago. It was a great way to see the highlights of the city, and the "hop on, hop off" feature made it very nice transportation for us!


We started at Millenium Park...with the big bean and the spitting fountain...














Then we loaded a double decker. The guide was great...very entertaining...and she told us about some of the interesting architecture in Chicago. REALLY fascinating!


These two buildings were made to be self-sustaining communities. Idea being...one who lived here wouldn't have to leave for anything. Inside the buildings had their own supermarket, hair salon, convenience stores...and even a movie theater. There is parking (the lower part) and even boat docks on the river for their boats. Very cool.







This building was designed to look like the water of Lake Michigan. Love it!







We hopped off for some Oprah's favorite Garrett's Popcorn...and back on a trolley for a ride down the financial district's LaSalle street. Hmmm...architecture was more fascinating!




We hopped off again at Navy Pier (this would be a fun spot to spend more time...but we didn't have the time to spend!) We had a hot dog, and hopped back on a double decker.


Next stop...the Magnificent Mile for a wee bit of shopping, and with that it was time to go home.


Okay...I don't know if I have mentioned that I hurt my knee..but I did. Adam looked at it last night and thinks I may have a cartilage issue going on. No tendon or ligament problems...we don't think. We are going to rest it a couple of days and see how it feels...then maybe see a doctor if it doesn't improve. ANYHOW...this next picture was at the airport. All day I had been wishing for moving sidewalks, because my slow hobble to avoid knee pain was painful in its own right. The first moving sidewalk we came to...out of order in my direction. Seriously!

We made it on the plane...this time with time to spare!








And when I got home...a clean house, a sweet hubby to hug and kiss, and a SUPER sweet basket of massage goodies, cheese, crackers, wine, and flowers. What a great way to end a great weekend!!

13 comments:

Bradshaw's Buzz said...

CONGRATS on completing the walk. I'm sorry to hear about your knee but it sounded like you have a fabulous time!! Love all the pics. And the motivational members get a gold star!

Anonymous said...

I am soooo glad you posted this because I have been so curious how it went for you guys! Congrats on finishing and hopefully the knee gets better quickly!

MinnerD said...

WOW! Great post on a great thing you girls did. I am very proud of you all!

Cassie said...

Great post. Now send me the pictures so I can post mine;)

Just kidding.

I would just like to say that Adam should win an award for having a basket for you! What a sweet husband!

Michelle said...

What a wonderful ending to a wonderful weekend! Good job girls!

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing!!! That is awesome... Will you do it again next year? You all ROCK!!!!!!!

Alyssa said...

Awesome! I loved reading all about your amazing weekend! You guys rock! Congratulations on achieving your goals... now rest up and enjoy your summmer :)

Ashley said...

I am tired just looking at your pictures! Congrats to you all!

AND, I didn't know Chelsea was expecting again! What fun!

annalee said...

YOU DID IT INDEED! i'm so proud of y'all and so glad you were able to experience it together.

mcjacobsjournal said...

Okay, I was obviously there with you through all of those pictures, having the same aches and pains, and emotions that you described SO WELL in this blog...but I read your entire blog without crying, until I saw the last picture of your sweet husband's letter and gift. Truly, the support of our husbands all weekend long was so amazing...and HUGE props to Adam for taking the time to make SURE you knew how proud he was. SO SWEET!!!!

I'm so glad we did this, and that we did more than we even expected to! It was a great time! Now, I just hope we don't have to get you through knee surgery next. :) Keep resting!! Love you!

Joni said...

Congrats on the walk! Hope your knee is feeling better:)

The Brown Family said...

Congratulations! I heard this was coming and I am so proud of all of you for finishing it! I love checking in with the Henkes! Maybe someday we'll actually get to see you guys again! Love, The Browns

Jill said...

How incredibly AWESOME! I loved reading all about your experience. I also noticed that you and your sisters stand or sit in birth order a lot -- on purpose? I sure wish I had a sister. Instead, God blessed me with a daughter. :)