Sunday, July 26, 2009

I caught a virus...

That is why I haven't updated this blog in AGES. A virus of the computer. I was terrified that all of our pictures would be lost...but our good friend restored our computer to health, so once again I can blog. I can hear your sigh of relief!

I promise there are lots of fun things to come (and pictures of those sweet kids I call mine!) However, today I am so proud to document my FIRST solo sewing project!

My mom came last week to help me make some nap mats for my sweet little ones. I had bought the fabric, and was so excited to get them made. I had pictured the day happening somewhat like this...I would watch my kids while mom sat at my table and sewed! :) She had different plans. She wanted ME to do the "dirty" work. And so...I learned.

Here are my creations (and partial creations.) I will give mom due credit for all of her work!

Creation #1: Breakfast nook curtains.
These were started MONTHS ago, but are finally finished! Are they not so cute!?! I would definitely call this a partial creation on my part. I sewed all the tabs, attached the tabs, sewed on the buttons, but I am pretty sure that mom actually sewed the panel itself. That was the LONG time ago part!

Creation #2: Breakfast nook shade.
After we created the panels, we realized that the back door was "naked" and needed to be covered. Unfortunately, Hobby Lobby no longer had the panel fabric, so we found this coordinating stripe for the shade. These will have buttons on the straps, but they aren't finished yet :) This was MOSTLY a solo project. Mom cut the fabric for me, but I did all the sewing.

Creation #3: Nap Mats

As mentioned earlier, this was meant to be a mom project, but turned into a Cortni project. I really did most of the sewing, with the exception of the long seam where the blanket is attached. That was just too much fabric for me to deal with!!



Braden's is space ships on the front, with coordinating orange polka dots on the back. His blanket is SUPER soft. Once I touched it, I had to have it! He LOVES his rocket ship nap mat, and has already asked to use it a few times!



Avery's is this ADORABLE pear and apple fabric, with red polka dots on the back. I couldn't find a blanket that I loved for her, so I got chenille and satin and made a "lovey" blanket. I LOVE the way it turned out, but it was way too much work. Mom helped with that one too! After I finished them, she grabbed her teddy bear and laid down on her mat with a big yawn. It was so cute. We'll see how she likes it in the fall when she has to take a nap on it!!
Creation #4: Nap mat bags.



These aren't completely finished yet. I still need to put the draw string in, and attach the straps. These were a creative way to use the rest of the fabric AND provide an easy way to carry these in and out of daycare. Mom and I were trying to figure out how to attach straps to the nap mat itself, and then we thought of this. I love the way these turned out too!

Creation #5: MY pillow.


This is one of several pillows I am making for the twin bed in Avery's room (which will one day be her big girl bed.) I saved this one for last for 2 reasons. One, because it was the last thing finished. Mainly because I am the MOST proud of this pillow. This is my first COMPLETELY solo...from beginning to end...project! I even covered the cording with fabric and sewed it in!!! I love it!
So friends and family...thank you for listening to my proud self talk and talk and talk about things that are sewn. I can't wait to make some more creations. Maybe I won't talk about them quite so much...but you never know!

4 comments:

Cassie said...

Those look GREAT! I am quite impressed. Mom told me that she was SO PROUD of you for doing it all on your own...she thought you were so good that you should start a business:)

I'm also very impressed with the cording...it looks professional!

Way to go, Sister. You little crafty thing, you:)

Michelle said...

Ah, you're back! YAY!
What great nap mats, curtains, and pillows! You sisters are so crafty!

Jennie said...

Very cute stuff...glad you can blog again.

Sally Zappe said...

I love it all. You should never had showed me, now you get to help me sew stuff for my new house!!! Kennedy would love something made by her Aunt Cortni. :)