Do you hate birthday presents? I do. Not so much when I was a child, but as an adult...I hate them. No, I don't hate the idea...but I hate feeling like I am buying something just to buy it...something that the child may or may not love (or even really like!) Clearly, "Gift Giving" is NOT my love language.







Last stop on Carlie's special Aunt's Day was Paint Yer Pottery. She chose a small teacup and saucer, and a butterfly, picked out every color in the rainbow, and began her work...




Cassie made the first 2 dishes in a collection she will be working on for her kitchen.

And the birthday girl with her pretty teacup and beautiful butterfly...
Carlie, we had an incredible day celebrating with you. Know that we celebrate you all year long! We love you, and love who you are in our family! Thank you for a terrific first Aunt's Day!!
Don't get me wrong. I love giving the perfect gift. I love when I find something and KNOW that "so and so" will LOVE this. I can't wait to give some gifts...be it Christmas or birthday...or just because...when I know it will be very used and very loved. I love giving then!
All this gift ramble because my niece is about to have a birthday. Once again, I was wondering "What do I get?" I want something she will LOVE! I was on the phone with Cassie, and we were both trying to figure out what would be best to get. THEN...The idea was born.
Aunt's Day!!!!
We both quickly fell in love with the idea, and hoped Carlie would love it too!
The plan: for each of the cousin's birthdays (starting at birthday #3) we will kidnap the child for a day of fun...just the birthday cousin and the aunts. (Moms are optional :) )
Carlie will be 5 in just a couple of days now, so she was the first honoree! We had a blast. Here is what we did...
At Carlie's birthday party, we presented her with a certificate for Aunt's Day #1! Cassie did a great job on it!! Carlie loved it, and even brought it with her ;)
At Carlie's birthday party, we presented her with a certificate for Aunt's Day #1! Cassie did a great job on it!! Carlie loved it, and even brought it with her ;)

Okay...so it might just have ended up that the aunts benefitted from this day a wee bit also :) We started the day at May Nail Salon in Dallas...our FAVORITE pedi place!!



When Carlie's super sweet nail helper came up, she asked if Carlie would like some cookies. Carlie was quick to nod her head with a smile, so the nail tech returned with a cup of cream filled goodness :) SO...while super sweet nail tech did this...

Our super sweet Carlie did this...

She licked all the icing out of the middle, and returned the cookies to the cups. We helped her out with those later :)
The finished product...beautiful girl...beautiful fingers...beautiful toes!!

Next stop...another family favorite...


Next stop...another family favorite...

Carlie chose Chick-fil-a. YUM! After we got our food, we asked if she would rather sit in a booth or at a table. She quickly chose outside by the playground! Hey...it was HER day!

Last stop on Carlie's special Aunt's Day was Paint Yer Pottery. She chose a small teacup and saucer, and a butterfly, picked out every color in the rainbow, and began her work...

While Carlie got started...the aunts were trying to figure out what we wanted to do. Cailee is searching her iphone...Cassie is sketching...Carlie is painting!


After much hard work, we all ended up with fun creations, which are being fired and glazed now! Can't wait to see the REALLY finished products!

Cailee made a supply holder for her desk. It has a tree on it with Psalm 1:1-9 written on it. SO CUTE!

Cassie made the first 2 dishes in a collection she will be working on for her kitchen.

And the birthday girl with her pretty teacup and beautiful butterfly...

Carlie, we had an incredible day celebrating with you. Know that we celebrate you all year long! We love you, and love who you are in our family! Thank you for a terrific first Aunt's Day!!
Next birthday: Braden Henry :) Uncles...get your plan ready!





13 comments:
Such a cute idea! She will remember that special day with you guys forever.
best idea EVER!
That is SUCH a great idea! Love it!
Great idea! I would love to start this with our fam...guess I better working on living a little closer first. I love the coasters!
I have done this with my sweet neice, Megan, for three years now and we both love it. She is quick to remind me that this past year I did not take her out, I instead made her a cookie cake, though she says that was great too, I know she missed our day together and so did I. Keep up the special day, I love the memories I have with Megan and need to start it with my other neice's. Great coasters, Cort!
That is such a fun day! What a cool idea~
Such a fun and memorable idea! What neat aunts y'all are!
What a great idea!! Might have to borrow it if I ever become an aunt! :)
Thank you for taking Carlie on such a special outing!! She was so excited for "her day" and has talked about it MANY times since Saturday. :) I love this tradition and I'm so glad y'all thought of it!! It will be fun to see how the outings change over the years ahead too...
Kendyll is already planning hers for February, so it is definitely a success already!
Love you!!
Such a great idea! Too bad I don't have any neices or nephews!
Hi Cortni!
I have enjoyed "catching up" with you and your beautiful family via your blog. And I LOVE the Aunt's Day idea. Makes me wish I had a niece. And kind of makes me wish I was your niece (hello, mani-pedis, Chic-Fil-A and pottery painting! How fun!) Enjoy your last days of summer!
Cortni, I love this idea. It literally drives me nuts every time one of my nieces has a birthday. I hate buying toys, so I usually buy books for every occasion but now their book collections are out of control. So I am stealing your idea and I can't wait! The girls love one on one time with their Aunt Britt
This is such a cute idea. What a memory!
Post a Comment