Sunday, January 29, 2006

HI-Ho, Hi-Ho, It's Back to Work I Go...

What a sad, sad day tomorrow will be. I am leaving my most favorite baby to go and spend the day with 18 third graders. The hard part is going to be trying to muster up the enthusiasm to somewhat come close to matching that of the 3rd graders. They are so excited for me to be coming back, and I am going to be counting down the minutes until 3:30!! (That is when I can leave and go get that precious boy of mine)

On Friday I went to school to survey the damage and to take a look at the lesson plans...so I can actually attempt to do my job on Monday. The room is in pretty good shape, but apparently the rules have not been quite as enforced as they were when I was there. The nurse stopped me in the office and listed off 5 of my kiddos who frequent her office...daily!! I NEVER send kids to the nurse...unless there is vomit, blood, or a fever. I have bandaids which can cure it all...right!?! A note from the substitute informed me that one of the boys ran out of the room earlier in the week because he had gotten in trouble. WHAT!? One of the other boys has spent 2 days with the principal for his behavior. It seems I have a lot of work ahead of me.

When I made it to my room I realized that their pencil baskets, which were safely adhered with velcro to the top right corner of every desk (very uniform) are now scattered looking as some students have moved them to go along the side of their desks, some are on the top left, some are INSIDE their desk. WHAT!?! I am not the MOST organized person in the world, but I do like things a certain way in my classroom.

Then, as I took a look around, I realized that the drawers at the front of the classroom, where crayons, scissors, glue, colored pencils, and rulers are kept, are very close to empty. Through trial and error I have realized that keeping these tools out of the students' desks makes for a MUCH more attentive class. From ruler helicopters to glue puddles and tiny pieces of paper cut all over the floor...it is amazing what kiddos do with these items while math papers and reading homework go unfinished.

SO...not only is it sad to leave my precious Braden, but then I have to put my mean face on and let the 3rd graders know that the sherriff is back in town!! We take the TAKS in 3 weeks!! There is a lot to do between now and then. I would much rather stay at home, laugh at the silly Braden faces, take naps when Braden naps, scrapbook, clean house...pretty much anything that can be done at home sounds like more fun that returning to the classroom. Once I am there, and in a routine again, I am sure I will be a much more loving teacher than what I feel right now!!!

Stay tuned for "THE REST OF THE STORY."

3 comments:

mcjacobsjournal said...

Oh, Cortni....I'm so sorry that tomorrow is the big day. I'm sure it came faster than you ever wanted it to.

I know those kiddos can't wait for you to be there with them. As crazy as it sounds like it has been, there is something kids LOVE about order, so they will probably be ready to have the "sheriff" taking care of them again!

We love you and will be praying for your first day back. I know Braden will do great and that 3:30 will come SO FAST!! (hopefully!)

Love you....I'll count down to spring break so I can hang out with you every day again...I could get used to that! :)

Cassie said...

Yea for blogging!! That picture of Brad-en is so cute...I CANNOT wait to get my "fix" this weekend!

Anonymous said...

cvfxf