Thursday, February 16, 2006

Bloggable Moments

Just yesterday I was talking with my sister, Cassie, about how bloggable moments just don't happen all that often in my life. I go to school everyday and spend it with a bunch of 3rd graders. Sure, there are plenty of stories I could tell...but honestly...no one really wants to hear them. My precious boy is still too little to do anything bloggable (besides just be as cute as he can be!) SO...what, then to blog about.

Well...I guess it is true, "Ask and you shall receive."

Everyday I get to "express myself" in the comfort of my classroom. Now...I am not talking about sharing my opinions. I get the priviledge of using two oversized, electric suction cups to save some milk for Braden. He likes that I do this...and I can't say it is all that bad. Luckily for me, I come from a family of "producers" so the process is quick and painless...and I go on with my day. I have made the habit of doing this twice a day while at school, once on my conference period and once at lunch. However, last night I realized that my backstock is dwindling (perhaps because the appetite of the boy is growing) so I decided I would add another pumping session right after school.

Okay...side note...my biggest fear while doing this is being "caugh in the act." I always double check to make sure the kiddos are out of the room, because I can just imagine that one forgot their lunch money, went back to the room, and here I come in exposing myself and scarring them for life.

Last week during my conference period, another teacher saw that my door was closed and knew what I was up to. She thought it would be amusing to slide books through the crack under my door and make them slide across the room. I almost had a heart attack!! I thought that someone had gotten in, even though I made sure the door was locked.

So...you see...this pumping thing causes some degree of anxiety for me.

Anyway...back to the after school pumping. There were no kids in the room, because they had all gone home. I shut and locked the door, and assumed the position in the one spot in my room that cannot be seen from the window by the door. After fully exposing myself...talk about vulnerablility...I began the process. Things were going along as they always do, and I was just about finished. I heard a noise, which sparked the idea that the custodian usually comes to empty trash soon, so I should wrap it up. Just as I pulled my boobs out of the large suction cups, I heard "Oh...hi Miss Hink." Our sweet custodian (who is a woman, thankfully) must have unlocked the door before I turned the pump off. That dang motor on the pump is quite noisy!! I didn't even hear her come in. Obviously, she quickly shut the door and probably ran to hide in another teacher's room. I felt so badly that I had embarrassed her.

Surprisingly, I wasn't that embarrassed for myself. Well...considering I am the LEAST modest person in the family...I guess it isn't that surprising...but for a total stranger to see me in all my glory...I was surprised by my carefreeness. (if that is even a word)

So...I didn't see our custodian again before I left. I don't know if I should apologize or just let it go. She is probably worried that I am embarrassed and I am worried that she is embarrassed...Any advice?? (All 2 of you who read this!!)

Well..I figured this was a blog-worthy story. I hope you enjoyed it at my expense!

4 comments:

Cassie said...

Same thing happened to me the other day...okay, not really:) That would just be weird...

I don't have any good advice. I think if you see her and it feels not so weird...just say something like "sorry you saw my DD boobs...hope they didn't make you jealous!" Kidding...again. I think it's okay...she'll forget about it soon:) Hopefully...I have seen em up close and personal and the picture is hard to erase:) Love you...

tamandscott said...

Ok, my first day back to school after having my first baby, my janitor (Francisco--a MAN!) unlocked my door and walked in on me. Luckily I was behind my desk. He had no idea what I was doing behind there. I couldn't explain it b/c he doesn't speak English! I just said "go, go." Not a fun day for me. Anyway, good luck next week on TAKS. (I teach fourth grade writing--ick).
Tammie (the twin--Chels's friend:)

leslie said...

First of all, I am sooo glad that you have a blog!!!
Second, that is the most hilarious story I have heard in a long time. That sounds like something that would happen to me.
Braden is soooo stinking cute, and you look awesome! I can't wait to see ya'll! We really need to think of a time to get together. Really.

mcjacobsjournal said...

Oh my gosh, that cracks me up!!!! But, at least you are not all that embarrassed about things like that (usually). Poor lady...she was probably much more embarrassed than you! :)

too funny! And, yes, "bloggable moments" seem to happen once you enter the blog world. I guess it's the negative side of having one now!

tomorrow's blog should be all Braden pictures!!!!! I MISS HIM!!!! (and you, of course!)