Saturday, January 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Braden!

Disclaimer: Braden turned 3 on December 1st. I will post Christmas for you in February..haha. No seriously...look for LOTS of updates this week. I am catching up if it kills me :)

Braden turns THREE!
We started December with a birthday for our big boy. I know every mom says this... but I really can't believe he is already 3. He is SO much fun at this age. He cracks me up...and I truly wish I could bottle up a piece of him right now.

We decided to celebrate with a Camping Party. I had great plans of an outdoor party, complete with a weenie roast, bug hunt in the front yard, gift exchange in the tent, and roasting smores on the fire pit. Well...the weatherman had a different plan. It was STINKIN' cold...so we moved most of it inside.

We pulled the gas logs from the fireplace to make a campfire in the middle of the living room. We added miniature trees (to give the outdoors feel) and some sleeping bags...and voila...we had an indoor campground!

Here's how the party went...
1. Eat
Adam grilled our hot dogs instead of roasting, and his parents made a big pot of homemade chili...yummy! We filled up on warm food...and then headed out to the cold.

2. Bug Hunt
Next on the agenda was the bug hunt! Aunt Cassie hid some brightly colored, stretchy bugs in our front yard for the campers to find. Each camper got a flashlight and a pail, and headed out to hunt (after bundling up of course!)





3. Warm up by the campfire
We all got pretty chilly searching for those bugs...so we headed back inside to the campfire. The kids quickly realized they could "roast" their bugs. Too funny! We attempted to read a campire story...but quickly realized that a picture walk would be better. They were not interested in reading!

4. Book Exhange
Instead of presents, we opted to do a book exchange. Braden needed no new toys...especially with Christmas around the corner. The campers each got to pick a book from the stack and open it. Everyone leaves with a present! Now that is a happy camper!!
5. Sing to the birthday boy
After opening our presents, we brought out the cake and sang to the birthday boy. Instead of a cake...we had SMORES!
6. Make Smores!!
We bundled back up and headed back out into the cold for some smore roasting! YUM YUM!

With only one minor injury (those hangers get hot!) I would say the party was a success! This little camper was happy...

7 comments:

Michelle said...

What a fun party!

Serena said...

what a neat idea for a b-day party!

K cubed said...

Great party theme. It looks like lots of fun. Can't wait to read more updates

Rachel said...

love the idea of a book exchange! looks like a fun party! they do grow way too fast;)!!

Cassie said...

See...you don't even need my comment...you're so popular:)

Love the party, Love Braden, Love you.

TheRakes said...

what a great idea. and it looks like everyone had fun with it too! will you plan my next party!

Unknown said...

Happy (late) 3rd birthday to Braden! That looks like such a fun party, and the book exchange is a great idea. I know what you mean when you say it goes by fast. They just seem so big at three years!