Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My thoughts...

I am having a hard time writing tonight. There is a stirring in my heart that I don't know or understand, but I feel uneasy. It is strange because it isn't about one specific thing, but just life in general.

This past week, Christmas Eve in fact, we lost a family friend after a horrible car accident. He leaves a wife and a 7 year old daughter. I can't say we were close friends...I knew him from the church where we grew up. What I do know is that he was a "stand-up man." He loved life, loved people, and every memory I have of him was with a smile on his face. Seriously. When I picture him in my mind, he is smiling. Those who were close to him have incredible things to say about this man. At his funeral there were over 1,000 in attendance. There was standing room only to honor a life well lived.

So I think. What am I doing in my life? Am I living in a way that the single memory people have is of a smile on my face? Am I making a difference? Do others know Christ because of the life I live? It's a lot to think about.

I am not one for New Year's Resolutions. They usually just set me up for failure...especially the ones about working out or losing weight :) Tonight, for whatever reason, I feel a stirring for contentment. For JOY. I want to change the way I think. I want to claim the Truths that define me. I want to slow down and enjoy this life. I get so bogged down in work, and running here and there. I want to take a deep breath, and exhale, and slow down.

Today we went to a University of Houston football practice, as they did one last "walk through" before their bowl game tomorrow. One of Adam's old players is now playing for U of H. While Adam watched practice, I played out in the grass with my precious babies. There was a moment that I looked up at Avery, smiling so big, sun shining on her, and wondered where the last 2 years has gone. I tell you this...those 2 kids make my heart burst. So...sitting there...looking at her I thought "I want to be more present." I want to remember these fleeting moments, and soak them up.

And so, I need to take a minute to document my sweet children. Sidenote: This blog has been a source of stress for me. I wonder why I do it sometimes. I can't keep up with everyone's daily posts. Physically I just don't have the time to sit here and do it. I am not crafty, witty, I am just a teacher with 2 kids and a husband. But then I remember why I started this blog in the first place. I want to document the happenings of our lives so that THEY, Braden and Avery, can remember and see.

SO...here is a little bit about the ones that make me want to stop time!


Braden Henry:
Right now you are 4 years old, and almost a month. You are into everything boy. You love Hot Wheels, rocket ships, airplanes, Hot Wheels, superheroes, Legos, tractors, and Hot Wheels. You are a big boy, people don't even believe that you just turned 4. BUT, you have the sweetest heart. You are a little bit shy when you are unsure about things, or in a new place, or with people you don't know well...but when you are comfortable, you are a hoot. The things you say tell us that your wheels are always spinning. You crack us up! You remember EVERYTHING, sometimes to a fault ( I think you get that from me. Sorry!) You are starting to think about others, which makes me so happy. You love bedtime stories and prayers, and your blue elephant. You are such a joy to be around, and I am so blessed to be your Mommy!


Avery Laine:
Right now you are 1 year and 11 months. You are into everything boy and girl! You love playing with cars, no doubt because of the number of them in our house. You also love babies! This Christmas Braden got you a baby with a bottle and paci, and you have carried her, and loved on her, and mothered her. It is precious! You LOVE Braden, and mimic everything he does. You watch him and follow him. You do not like bows. At. All. You leave them in for a while, and then rip them out with a nice chunk of hair. I keep trying thinking you will change your mind. You have a healthy appetite. You like to eat! You just started sleeping in your big girl bed (because you learned how to and perfected crawling out of the crib.) You like milk, and call every drink "nilk." Over this Christmas break you have started talking even more. You are putting sentences together, and showing us your opinion. You told me "No song Mommy" the other day when I tried singing to make you happy in the car. You are loud. I was reminded of this at Christmas when, after a day of little napping, you let everyone know every time something made you mad. I love you no matter how loud you are!! You are full of joy! You give kisses and hugs like no other! Your smiles melt my heart. What a joy you are!
Adam Henry:
I can't forget you! You are 36 years and 4 months :) (Gosh you're getting old!) You are into video games, football, friends, and family. You make me laugh...and you make me clean. It's okay...it is for the best! You love me unconditionally, and you are the most amazing Daddy! You listen to me...and listen to me...and listen to me! Your constant acts of service are so much more than I could ever deserve! You work hard at everything you do, and take pride in your work. You are always willing to go the extra mile! You give us calm in the storm. I can't imagine taking this journey with anyone else!!!

So, where does that leave me?
*My goal is to turn off the TV and the computer. I will not (because I am putting it in writing) be on facebook or blogs until after my children are in bed.
*My goal is to be more positive at school (and at home) in my outlook on things. There is a LOT I would love to change, but reality is I can only change me.
*My goal is to update this blog more often...but not for the readers or the comments...but so we will have memories saved of the time we are spending together.
*My goal is to love life, love people, and leave you all with the single memory of me with a smile on my face.

Happy and blessed New Year friends! May it be the best one yet!

10 comments:

Cassie said...

Loved this post, Sister! I have been having very similar stirrings...I read on a ransom blog about a girl that uses one word for her New Year resolution. I have been trying to think of one that encompasses all that I want to be this year. Maybe we should brainstorm together!

Love you (and your sweet family)! You are such a good mom and wife and I can't wait to see what '10 holds for the Henkes:)

Jennifer K said...

I must say you have a way with words, my friend. A something that I always think of you is and will be your SMILE. It is contagious! 2009 has been a hard year for everyone it seems. Lots going on all around us. You amaze me with your strength and endurance through it all! You carry yourself with such grace and honesty- I know you make Adam and your kids proud! Keep up the good work my friend! You are blessing others even though you don't even know it!

Ashley said...

Loved this post and love you! May 2010 be a wonderful year for your family!

annalee said...

your words have challenged me this week. thank you! God's blessings on you and your family this year.

Julie said...

When I think of Cortni, I think of a big smiling, wonderful face that is always so, so sweet!!! You will be remembered for a lot more than if you just kept up with a blog or were crafty or witty. Your legacy as a faithful mom, wife, and Christian friend will live on in so many ways! Happy Holidays friend!

Unknown said...

I, too, think of your smile when I think of you (and of your love of dogs). I love you and hope for a happy and healthy 2010 for you!

mcjacobsjournal said...

Just realized that I never ACTUALLY commented on your blog, even though I had lots to say about it. :) First, you truly have the most beautiful family. I love each of their individual pictures (even Adam!) because each one reminds me of God's faithfulness to you. What blessings they are to all of us.

Also, I cannot begin to tell you how many times you have popped into my head with your new resolutions...you have inspired me to be more "present" as well, and to find JOY in all circumstances. It's so easy to get caught up in the little busy things of each day and forget what beautiful blessings are in our homes and in our lives.

You have a gigantic heart and a GREAT ability to write. You need to do it more often...not for the comments, but because God uses you to bless others when you do. :)

Love you sister so much. Looking forward to hanging tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Cortni, this is Lana Adames. Do you remember me from high school? I just recently found your blog online and was so excited to start reading about you and your beautiful family! I have to tell you that when I remember fun times with you and Debi Desimone at Keller I ALWAYS remember your smiling face and your sweet and genuinely caring spirit. I just wanted to agree with everyone here, your blogs are a blessing and encouragement to people you don't even know are reading. So give yourself a break now and then, and don't ever feel obligated, but also,don't hold back your gift!

Anonymous said...

Cort, I read this last week and was moved to comment but didn't. On your birthday, I feel it appropriate to share my heart with you. I, like you, and so many others have considered what imprint my life will have made on this world when I leave it. Tim was an outstanding human being with a simple, sweet smile and love for people that endeared everyone to him... not unlike you, my daughter! God blessed you with a radiance that has been apparent from your birth. Your smile has brightened many a day, including many of mine. Never doubt your effect on those you touch each day. It is extremely difficult to remember each day why you chose to teach children, I know! As I used to say in parenting classes for parents of teens, "more is caught than is taught". Believe me, your kids catch more from your sweet spirit than they do from your lessons. I know. Your concern, like mine, is that there are too many times that you feel that you are not communicating love and warmth and blessing to your kids. Just know that God will use whatever offering we can muster and multiply it many times to bless the children He has placed in our classrooms. "Be strong and courageous, for I am with you"Joshua 1:8-10 I love you, Cortni! Dad

mcjacobsjournal said...

I keep re-reading this blog and re-staring at these CUTE CUTE pictures. I think they're the best ever. I love you and your cute family.